1. Know Your Proportions (Understanding the Rule of Thirds)
Check out my Insta explaining this HERE.
2. Play With Layering
Layering is an essential part of creating a dynamic look as it allows for a greater range of textures, fabrics, and colors in an outfit. By layering clothing, you can create several styles or looks at once, allowing for versatility and creativity. Don't be afraid to take some risks like wearing a sweater backwards or adding a t-shirt on top of your shealth dress. Layering pieces also allows for additional flexibility in temperatures throughout the day. Layering with a cotton blazer or lightweight knit will help keep you warm when the weather is more wishy-washy than you when deciding what takeout you want for dinner.
3. Comfortable Can Be Stylish
Comfortable fashion doesn't have to mean sacrificing style - in fact, it can be the perfect combination of both. Loose-fitting garments like maxi skirts or breezy dresses can look chic when paired with a structured blazer or belt. You can also mix and match textures and fabrics to create a modern, yet comfortable look. Adding accessories such as jewelry or a tailored blazer is an easy way to tie together any outfit. With the right pieces, you can achieve a polished, put-together look without sacrificing comfort. For example, try a wide leg, elastic waist silk pants or trouser. Pair with a cropped sweater that is just long enough to hide the elastic but still short enough to maintain your, you guessed it, proportions!
4. Don't Forget Your Shoes (And The Importance Of Building A Shoe Capsule)
So many times a client will tell me they came up with an outfit in their head but when they put it on, something feels off. More often than not, the answer to this fashion emergency is they don't have the right shoes. Building a solid foundation of shoes can easily elevate your wardrobe and take so much stress out of getting dressed. From ankle boots to loafers, strappy sandals to sneakers, flats to heels—the possibilities for mixing and matching are truly endless. Not only does this give you the freedom to create a variety of looks but it also helps you save time when getting dressed. Shoe my CAPSULE SHOE SELECTS HERE or click images below.
5. Edit & Organize Your Closet
You know the saying "never go grocery shopping hungry?" Well, never go shopping before editing your closet! One of the primary benefits of taking the time to organize your closet is that it can help you save time when getting dressed in the morning or looking for specific pieces of clothing. When everything in your closet has its own place, it's much easier to find what you're looking for without having to rummage through piles of clothes. Plus, if you know where all of your clothes are located, it’ll be faster when selecting an outfit for the day or picking out an item for a special occasion.
Here are a few easy steps that I use with my clients:
• Start off by discarding any clothes you don’t wear anymore – Ask yourself: Can I style this into three outfits? If not, see ya!
• Sort through all of your items by type – separate blazers from tops, shorts from skirts, etc. I even like to go a step further and separate sleeveless, short sleeve, and long sleeves.
• Group similar items together – hang all jackets in one area and group skirts together so they can be seen easily. Organize by color, light to dark (you remember the rainbow right?) This will make it easier to pick out outfits quickly!
• Utilize organizational tools like shelves, drawers and shoe racks so each item has its own spot. This will help create space and keep things neat.
• Store seasonal items at the back of the closet so they’re out of sight but still accessible when needed.
By following these steps, you’ll be well on your way toward having a functional and organized closet that allows you to easily find whatever item you need quickly!
Still feel like you're in a style rut? Don’t spend time stressing over what to wear ever again; instead focus on living life to the fullest. Our personalized recommendations will give you the confidence boost necessary for any occassion. We believe having fun with fashion and looking amazing should be effortless! Everyone deserves to have a personal style that they love! Let us help you find your inner confidence, check out our services here. Virtual & In-Person options available.